Welcome!

In 1995 I published my first book 'Chains Unbound: Slave Emancipations in Greenwich, Connecticut.' My original intention was for it to be used as an educational resource. This is an online companion site that I've created, especially for those of you utilizing online resources and smartphones. I've also included additional items and news articles not found in the 1995 edition. Jeffrey Bingham Mead, Historian and Author. October 13, 2014.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Emancipation of Sam by James Banks (1817)

By James Banks
Volume 19, Page 457-458
Signed: May 9, 1809
Recorded: May 9, 1817

State of Connecticut Fairfield County ss in Greenwich. Whereas application has 
been made to us the subscribers Justices of Peace in said Fairfield County by James 
Banks of said Greenwich expressing his wish to emancipate and make free his Negro 
man Sam and agreeable to the Statute Law of this State entitled an Act in addition 
to an alteration of an Act concerning Indian, Mulatto and Negro servants and 
Slaves- we have enquired examined and find the said Sam to be a healthy per
-son and between twenty five and forty five years of age also have personally examine
-ed said Sam who appears desirous to be made free aforesaid. We hereby certify
that the Sam is a proper person to be emancipated and made free aforesaid
given under our hands and Test of office the 9th day of May Anno Domini 1809.        
                                                        Ebenr Mead  William Knapp Justices of Peace

Know all men by these presents that on receiving the above certificate I the subscriber 
James Banks of said Greenwich do hereby give grant bargain emancipate make 
free and set at liberty my Negro man slave called Sam free and clear from me 
my heirs executors and administrators and from every other person claiming from 
by or under me or them and that he be a slave to no person and from the date he
-reof said Sam is permitted to go for himself and transact his own business 
according to the Statute Law above mentioned. In witness whereof I have here
-unto set my hand and seal the 9th day of May AD 1809.
Signed sealed & delivered in presence of                            James Banks   L.S.
Ebenr Mead
Wm Knapp                        Rec'd for Record May ye 9th AD 1817 
                                           and Recorded by me Hezekiah Tracy Town Clerk

No comments:

Post a Comment