Welcome!

In 1995 I published my first book 'Chains Unbound: Slave Emancipations in Greenwich, Connecticut.' My original intention was for it to be used as an educational resource. This is an online companion site that I've created, especially for those of you utilizing online resources and smartphones. I've also included additional items and news articles not found in the 1995 edition. Jeffrey Bingham Mead, Historian and Author. October 13, 2014.

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Emancipation of Catherine by Francis Nash (1779)

by Francis Nash     
Volume 11, Page 15
Signed: April 1, 1779
Recorded: April 2, 1779   

In Greenwich this first day of the fourth month 1779  These
are to certify all whom it may concern that I Francis Nash of 
Fairfield County in the Township of Greenwich Have set my negro
woman named Catherine free and I do from this time for myself my
heirs, Executors, Administrators and every of them forever Set my Negro wo-
man Catherine at Liberty & free to act as a free Agent for herself as clear
from me or mine as I am able to do.Given under my hand & seal the
day & year above written.                             Francis Nash      seal
In presence of                         Rec'd to record April ye 2d AD 1779
Jesse Hallock                         And recorded by me Jabez Fitch  Town Clerk
John Willis
David Hallock


Photocopy of the Emancipation of Catherine by Francis Nash.
























No comments:

Post a Comment