Welcome!

In 1995 I published my first book 'Chains Unbound: Slave Emancipations in Greenwich, Connecticut.' My original intention was for it to be used as an educational resource. This is an online companion site that I've created, especially for those of you utilizing online resources and smartphones. I've also included additional items and news articles not found in the 1995 edition. Jeffrey Bingham Mead, Historian and Author. October 13, 2014.

Monday, October 13, 2014

Emancipation of York by Jared Mead (1798)

by Jared Mead
Volume 14, Page 367
Signed: October 15, 1798
Recorded: October 15, 1798     

State of Connecticut Fairfield County ss In Greenwich
Whereas application has been made to us the subscribers Justices of 
peace in said Fairfield County by Jared Mead of said Greenwich 
expressing a desire to emancipate and make free his negro man 
York. And agreeably to the Statute Law of this State entitled “an
Act in addition to and alteration of an act concerning indian, mo-
latto and negro servants and slaves." We have enquired, examined and 
find the said York to be a healthy person and between twenty five
and forty five years of age. And also have personally examined said York 
who appears desirous to be made free aforesaid. We therefore hereby 
certify that the said York is a proper person to be emancipated & made free according 
to said Statute Law. Given under our hands and Test of Office this 
15th day of October AD 1798.
                                                                                           Benjamin Mead    Justices of peace
                                                                                           Jabez Fitch

Know all men by these presents that on viewing the above 
certificate I the subscriber Jared Mead of Greenwich in Fairfield 
County and State of Connecticut  Do hereby give, grant, emancipate,
make free and set at liberty my negro man Slave called York 
free and clear from me and my heirs, executors and administrators and 
from every other person claiming from by or under me, or them 
and that he be a Slave to no person: and from the date hereof 
said York is permitted to go for himself and transact his own business 
according to the Statute Law above mentioned.  In witness whereof 
I have hereunto set my hand and seal the 15th day of October AD 1798.
In presence of                                                                     Jared Mead     L.S.
Samuel M. Fitch
Jabez Fitch

Rec'd to record October ye 15th AD 1798
And recorded by me Jabez Fitch  Register

No comments:

Post a Comment